- 1 1/2 cups vegetable stock (or chicken stock)
- 4 tablespoons uncooked wild rice*
- 2 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 medium carrot, diced
- 1/2 celery, diced
- 1/4 large (about 1 pound) sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1/4 small white onion, peeled and diced
- 1/4 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoons Old Bay seasoning
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 large handful of kale, roughly chopped with thick stems removed
- salt and freshly-cracked black pepper
- Simmer the base soup ingredients (veggies, rice, broth, seasonings) until the rice is cooked and tender.
- During the last 10 minutes that the soup is cooking, prepare your cream sauce in a separate saucepan. Melt the butter, whisk in the flour, then stir in the milk and cook — stirring frequently so that the bottom does not burn — until thickened. The sauce should be very thick.
- Add in the cream sauce and kale: and stir to combine. Then taste and season with salt and pepper as needed.