- 1 small onion, roughly chopped
- 1/2 thumb-sized piece ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 large garlic clove
- 1 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 2 tbsp tikka curry paste
- 200g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- ½ tbsp light brown soft sugar
- 2 cardamom pods, bashed
- 100g brown basmati rice
- 2 tbsp ground almonds
- 150g raw king prawns
- 1/2 tbsp double cream
- ½ bunch of coriander, roughly chopped
- naan breads, warmed, to serve (optional)
- Put the onion, ginger and garlic in a food processor and blitz to a smooth paste. Heat the oil in a large flameproof casserole dish or pan over a medium heat. Add the onion paste and fry for 8 mins or until lightly golden. Stir in the curry paste and fry for 1 min more. Add the tomatoes, tomato purée, sugar and cardamom pods. Bring to a simmer and cook, covered, for another 10 mins.
- Cook the rice following pack instructions.
- Scoop the cardamom out of the curry sauce and discard, then blitz with a hand blender, or in a clean food processor. Return to the pan, add the almonds and prawns, and cook for 5 mins. Season to taste and stir through the cream and coriander. Serve with the rice and naan breads, if you like.