- 1 onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 x 5cm piece fresh ginger
- olive oil
- 1 knob of butter
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 6 parsnips
- 500 ml semi-skimmed milk
- 750 ml organic vegetable stock
- 1 fresh red chilli
- Peel the onion, garlic and ginger, and roughly chop.
- Heat a splash of olive oil and the butter in a large saucepan. Add the onion, garlic, ginger and garam masala. Gently fry for 10 minutes or until the onions are soft and sweet.
- Meanwhile, peel the parsnips and chop into 3cm chunks. Stir them into the onion mixture until well coated.
- Pour in the milk and stock, season well and bring to the boil. Turn down the heat and simmer for 30 minutes with a lid on.
- After half an hour, check that the parsnips are cooked by sticking a knife in. If you’re happy, remove them from the heat and blitz with a stick blender until smooth and creamy. Have a taste and adjust the seasoning as required.
- Deseed and finely chop the chilli, and scatter over the soup, if you like.