- 1/2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning herb blend *see Note
- 1/4 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 2 bell peppers, any colour
- 100g brown rice
- 150g canned kidney or cannellini beans
- 150g tomato sauce
- 40g cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 20g chopped black olives, optional
- A small handful of chopped fresh basil, plus more for garnish if desired
- 50g Fontina, Emmental or gruyere cheese, grated
- Cook Onions and Garlic: Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Set aside 1 tablespoon red onion for garnish. Add onion, garlic and salt to the skillet and cook, stirring often until the onion is softened, about 4 minutes. Add in Italian seasoning and fennel seeds. Remove from the heat and scrape into a bowl.
- Par-Cook Peppers: Meanwhile, cut off pepper tops and remove the seed core. Set peppers in a casserole dish and add 100ml water. Cover with a layer of parchment and then a layer of plastic wrap. Microwave until just beginning to soften, 6 to 7 minutes. Drain liquid and set peppers cut side up in the casserole dish.
- Make Filling: Add rice, beans, tomato sauce, tomatoes, olives and basil to onion mixture and stir to combine. Add ½ of the cheese and stir to combine. Spoon filling into the peppers, dividing evenly. Top with the remaining cheese.
- Cook Stuffed Peppers: Microwave uncovered until the cheese is melted and the filling is heated through, 3 to 4 minutes. Serve warm with reserved red onion and chopped basil if desired.